Sunday, March 11, 2012
A U.S. soldier in Afghanistan slaughtered at least 16 civilians and wounded five after entering their homes in Kandahar province, senior local officials say. The event calls into question why the U.S. is still in Afghanistan and why Americans troops haven’t begun redeploying out of the country.
A U.S. soldier left his military base in the early hours of the morning and opened fire in at least two homes; women and children were among the dead.
Anti-U.S. sentiment is already high in Afghanistan after American soldiers burnt copies of the Koran last month prompting a series of protests and attacks that killed at least 30 people and six U.S. troops.
The Pentagon characterized the U.S. soldier as suffering a ‘mental breakdown’. He surrendered to U.S. military authorities and is currently in their custody.
Afghan president Hamid Karzai condemned the attacks as ‘an assassination’ and demanded an explanation from the U.S.
Meanwhile, Reuters reports the graphic details:
“They (Americans) poured chemicals over their dead bodies and burned them,” Samad told Reuters at the scene.
Neighbors said they had awoken to crackling gunfire from American soldiers, who they described as laughing and drunk.
“They were all drunk and shooting all over the place,” said neighbor Agha Lala, who visited one of the homes where killings took place.
“Their (the victims’) bodies were riddled with bullets.”
President Obama said U.S. troops will begin redeploying from Afghanistan at the end of this year, after the presidential election. I see no logical reason to wait another year to liberate the Afghan people from the American military occupation.
I call on Mr. Obama to give the order to end our unwarranted presence in Afghanistan immediately.