Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Last winter I said this spring would be a problematic time for President Obama and I was correct.
A bipartisan group of House members announced on Wednesday it is filing a lawsuit charging President Obama made an illegal end-run around Congress when he approved U.S military action against Libya.
Congress, you will recall, was out of session at the time and remarkably, Obama was out of the country, wandering aimlessly across Latin America.
Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), leading the 10-member anti-war coalition with Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) said, “With regard to the war in Libya, we believe that the law was violated. We have asked the courts to move to protect the American people from the results of these illegal policies.”
The lawsuit calls for injunctive and declaratory relief to protect the plaintiffs and the country from the (1) policy that a president may unilaterally go to war in Libya and other countries without a declaration of war from Congress, as required by Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the United States Constitution; (2) the policy that a president may commit the United States to a war under the authority of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in violation of the express conditions of the North Atlantic Treaty ratified by Congress; (3) the policy that a president may commit the United States to a war under the authority of the United Nations without authorization from Congress; (4) from the use of previously appropriated funds by Congress for an unconstitutional and unauthorized war in Libya or other countries; and (5) from the violation of the War Powers Resolution as a result of the Obama Administration’s established policy that the President does not require congressional authorization for the use of military force in wars like the one in Libya.
The lawsuit was signed by: Representatives Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), Walter Jones (R-NC), Howard Coble (R-NC), John Duncan (R-TN), Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD), John Conyers (D-MI) Ron Paul (R-TX), Michael Capuano (D-MA), Tim Johnson (R-IL) and Dan Burton (R-IN).
Back on May 21,
President Obama basically told Congress, ‘I don’t need your stinkin’ approval for Libya,’ citing the limited U.S.’s role in Libya. However, recent reports show the U.S. is providing upwards of 80% of the military strike force and the so-called mission is expected to cost $1 billion dollars by September.