Wednesday, April 13, 2011
President Barack Obama called the $38 billion worth of cuts to the Federal budget “commonsense.” I call them obscene. These cuts represent an appalling attack on working Americans without calling for any sacrifice from the wealthiest Americans.
This list courtesy of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) details the budget cuts:
· At a time of soaring fuel prices, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) would be cut by $390 million
· At a time when college education has become unaffordable, Pell grants would be reduced by an estimated $35 billion over 10 years, including a nearly $500 million cut this year
· At a time when 50 million Americans have no health insurance, community health centers would be cut by $600 million, $1 billion cut from AIDS prevention programs and the Children’s Health Insurance Program would be cut by $3.5 billion
· At a time when poverty is increasing, the Women Infant and Children (WIC) nutrition program for low-income pregnant women would be cut by $504 million
· At a time when we have to put Americans to work rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure, Federal funding for high-speed rail would be eliminated entirely, representing a cut of $2.9 billion
· At a time when gas is $4 a gallon, public transportation would be cut by nearly $1 billion, a 20 percent reduction
· At a time when police departments are struggling with inadequate budgets, local law enforcement funding would be cut by $296 million
· At a time when homelessness is increasing, public housing would be cut by $605 million
President Obama is wrong: these cuts are in no way “commonsense.” Americans must not reward Obama with reelection in 2012. He’s now firmly controlled by the Tea Party and dangerously out-of-touch with working Americans.