Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Here we go again.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced Tuesday the suspension of 21 priests cited in a Grand Jury report last month in what the panel believed were credible accusations of child rape.
A statement issued by the Archdiocese says Cardinal Justin Rigali suspended the 21 priests from active ministry pending a further review of the allegations of child sex abuse raised against the priests which were initially dismissed by an archdiocesan review board which ruled those complaints not credible.
Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams calls the move a good first step.
“Where those investigations go, and how they result will be more definitive of what the actions of the Archdiocese will be,” Williams said.
The cases stemmed from a whopping 34 cases of priest child sex abuse charges sent to the grand jury for review and determined to be credible.
Perhaps, as shocking as the original charges, due to the statute of limitations, none of the priests will face criminal prosecution. As I have urged before, if you have young sons and daughters, please do not let your children be alone with a Catholic priest.