42 Die as Fire Engulfs Shanghai Residential Skyscraper

Monday, November 15, 2010

A 28-story apartment building caught fire in Shanghai’s Jing’an District on Monday, killing at least 42 people and forcing others to jump from their windows to escape the flames, according to reports. At least 90 residents were injured.

A witness said building materials caught fire, then spread to scaffolding and then to the building, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

The residential tower is home to many retired teachers and professionals.

Editor Update: China reports death toll has risen to a shocking 79.

This entry was posted in China, International News, News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 42 Die as Fire Engulfs Shanghai Residential Skyscraper

  1. Mets Fan says:

    The thought of living in a highrise freaks me out and this is why.

    Once a fire starts on a lower floor, you have few choices to get to ground level. In the US, new buildings are supposed to have fire-resistant stairs made of concrete that won’t burn but this design isn’t sufficient to make me feel safe living up 30 or 40 stories.

  2. Rachel says:

    How horrible. I can’t imagine a worse way to die than to be burned alive. I don’t understand why there was scaffolding outside the tower if it was rented out? I think scaffolding is always made of wood and thereby, highly flammable. What a tragedy.

  3. Nan Yun says:

    Building standards on mainland China are notoriously poor and not enforced. Payola rules in China. I don’t know if this is the case in the Shanghai fire but, I am will not be surprised if it turns out to be so.

  4. Big Hank says:

    Retired teachers translates into older and elderly residents unable to physically get out quickly.

    Very tragic.

  5. R.J. Lawson says:

    I’m shocked this happened in 2010. I remember being a kid and seeing video of the Korean high-rise fire in ’72 that killed over 100 people. That was scary.

  6. Estacada says:

    I stayed in the Hilton in Manhattan on the 10th floor and while the views were great, I felt ill-at-ease at that level because it’s the top reach for firefighters ladders.

    I’m a ground floor kind of guy.

  7. fran says:

    To cut corners on building codes brings misfortune.

    Probably used a cheap, made in America fire alarm system???

  8. This is such a sad story. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to Chinese authorities, and they’ll take more precautions to prepare for and prevent situations like this in the future. In such a densely-populated city, you would think that they would be better prepared to respond to a huge emergency situation…

    I have a video about the story I thought I’d share from Newsy.com:
    Newsy.com gathers information from various news outlets, and puts it together to provide multiple views of news stories. I hope you’ll consider embedding or linking to the video in your post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s