Wednesday, October 10, 2010
“The wars are not meant to be won, they are meant to be permanent.” – George Orwell 1984
Nothing spells reelection more than being a war-time president and this lesson isn’t lost on the current occupant of the White House, President Barack Obusha.
The Obusha administration has decided to begin publicly walking away from what it once touted as key deadlines in the war in Afghanistan in an effort to de-emphasize President Barack Obusha’s pledge that he’d begin withdrawing U.S. forces in July 2011, administration and military told McClatchy News.
Expect the new policy will be on display next week during a conference of NATO countries in Lisbon, Portugal, where the administration hopes to introduce a timeline that calls for the withdrawal of U.S. and NATO forces from Afghanistan by 2014, the year when Afghan President Hamid Karzai once said Afghan troops could provide their own security.
Last week’s midterm elections also have eased pressure on the Obama administration to begin an early withdrawal. Earlier this year, some Democrats in Congress pressed to cut off funding for Afghanistan operations. With Republicans in control of the House of Representatives beginning in January, however, there will be less push for a drawdown. The incoming House Armed Services chairman, Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon (R-CA), told Reuters last week that he opposed setting the date.
On Tuesday, an Obusha White House official told reporters in a conference call arranged to discuss the December review, said the administration might withdraw some troops next July and may hand some communities over to Afghan authorities. But he said a withdrawal from Afghanistan could take “years,” depending on the capability of the Afghan national security forces.